Sunday, January 31, 2010

What would you do for a deal

So we Supply-a-Holics are not just hoarders of the stuff we create with. We also can't pass up a deal. So share with us your story of the most "unethical" or creative method of getting a deal.

I'll go first...

I have 2 sons, ages 3 and 4. When I was starting out my Etsy shop I was fairly broke so I needed to get any and all supplies the cheapest I could. So I would go to a certain retailer that offered 40% off coupons every week. I would print out a bunch and me and the boys would go shopping. I would be able to get 3 items at 40% off each day I went. Of course I would buy more than 3 items if I needed stuff in the same dye lot. ;)

One day I went to a different retailer and was told my children could not be used to get me additional discounts. A week later I was told by the cashier that they were threatened with termination if they were allowing children to check out items, that the coupons were "one per household". HMMM... if they were one "per household" why does the coupon say one "per customer".

Maybe it's borderline "unethical" to use your children to get added discounts, but I say when you're broke you have to do what you have to do. :)

So what lengths have you gone to to get that deal?

4 comments:

  1. I've used my hubby to do the same thing! And my mom used to have us kids check out behind her at the supermarket so she could get more than the quantity restrictions on sale items. Nothing wrong with it... us artists are crafty in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do it all the time!!! I even use my brother and significant other every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another link for jewelry supplies;
    www.destashnottrash.artfire.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if that certain big retailer doesnt want you to do it then they should put "one per household" not one per customer. I'd be fighting that tooth and nail. Show em your receipts and say LOOK how much money I spend with you wobby lubby..do you REALLY wanna fight me on this?

    But I'm a bad ass crafter like that..

    ReplyDelete